To reach the people no one else are reaching in our region, we have to do the things no one else are doing. This means that engaging, super-modern, LOUD music with undistracting excellence is a core value for Life Church.
I volunteered to lead worship, but I only bring harmonica skills to the mix.
So we knew we needed to find one of the BEST worship leaders in the country, jump him in a dark parking lot and hog-tie him... or pray that God would make a way.
So we prayed. And posted what we were looking for. In the meantime, my buddy Jimmy Savage graciously helped us out by leading worship at our five previews. Jimmy is on-staff at another rockin' church in the Detroit suburbs. His lead pastor, Jeff Forester (who also serves on Life Church's Board), graciously loaned Jimmy to us. Jimmy helped us set the bar and guarded the bar.
We talked with lots of quality worship guys for many months. Finally, in God's providence, we found our man.
Everyone, meet Adam Downer:
Adam is Life Church's new Worship Pastor! Adam comes to us from Florida with nearly 20 years of experience in the music industry and ministry. He is the former lead singer of Chasing Saturn and has a white-hot passion for raising up a new generation of worship leaders. Adam has been married to his wife Penny for fifteen years and they have three awesome kids: Addy (13), Hannah (11), and Eli (10).
Here's what I love about Adam:
- His heart is tender before God. Spend 10 minutes with this guy and he will leak Jesus all over you. Being Kingdom-minded is important to me, and its important to Adam too.
- This guy walks by faith, not by sight. Adam and Penny told me that they are making this cross-country, embracing a pay-cut, Abram-like move to be a part of Life Church based on two things: the vision and, well, the Herron's! Loyalty means a LOT to Amber and me. We aren't looking to "hire employees" at Life; we are looking to do life together and Life Church is the fun, side-gig we get to build together!
- Adam is a man of honor and integrity. He doesn't come here harboring hidden motives or a personal agenda. Like me, Adam has no time for insider-church politics. Adam has a track-record of never throwing a friend or staff member under the bus... he'd rather get hit by the bus together!
- The Downer family is committed to being here for the long-haul. The last thing we wanted was a guy to come join Life Church only to leave after a year or two (that doesn't lead to fruitful ministry). Adam shares my heart for pouring our lives into this region through Life and making life-long memories together. How fun it would be one day to be old codgers sitting on Cracker Barrel rocking chairs, reminiscing on what the Lord did through us at Life Church!
- Adam is a HUGE Bon Jovi fan. That makes him cool in my book.
Please be praying for the Downer family as they navigate all the details that come with a cross-country move: new schools, new jobs, new housing, and new opportunities!